Manuka essential oil, extracted is renowned for its benefits:
- Antiseptic properties, effective against acne
- Antifungal properties
- Healing properties: heals damaged skin and scarring, promotes the growth and regeneration of new cells
- Alleviating depression and anxiety, has a relaxing, invigorating effect
- Allergies: will soothe and alleviate allergic reactions
- Effective treatment against dandruff
- Anti-inflammatory: treats aching joints and muscular pain, insect bites
- Congestion and respiratory complaints: inhaling manuka essential oil can help treat a variety of respiratory conditions including sinus congestion, asthma and the symptoms of colds and the flu.
A recent study published in 2014 evaluated the ability of manuka essential oil to treat didease and inflammation caused by infection. The fungal and bacterial diseases tested included Candida albicans, Candida tropicalis, Staphylococcus aureus and E.coli. Manuka oil showed very potent antifungal ability and excellent antibacterial qualities with a 100% inhibition rate of the bacteria examined.
Use it as an active ingredient in handmade creams, lotions, soaps or masks, in diffusion mixtures (or put a few drops in a bowl of water to freshen up the air), hot baths or steam baths.